Katie and I developed this recipe in LA and it's AMAZING. It seems like a PITA, but it's not if you prepare your quinoa and lentils ahead of time. I like to make a batch on Sunday; t's great stuffed in the peppers as the recipe calls for, in collards, or over greens with feta.
4 bell peppers
1 yellow/white onion (diced)
3 cloves garlic (minced)
1 jalapeño (diced) *optional
3-4 handfuls of spinach
1 (14.5oz) can of fire-roasted tomatoes
1 c. cooked quinoa
1 c. cooked lentils
3/4 cup of cilantro
1 handful fresh basil
1/2 lemon juiced
oregano, red pepper flakes, salt, & peper to taste
1. Prepare quinoa and lentils if they are not already cooked.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
3. Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to a skillet over medium heat. Once warm add onion and garlic and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Next add diced jalapeño and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
4. Add spinach and cover with a lid. Stir occasionally until all of the spinach is wilted.
5. Add the fire roasted tomatoes and mix well. Cook for 1-2 minutes then remove from the heat.
6. Wash the bell peppers, cut the tops off, remove inside seeds. Sprinkle a little olive oil on the baking dish and lay the peppers out. (I like to do this while the spinach cooks.)*
7. Add quinoa, lentils, cilantro, basil, lemon juice, spices and sautéd veggies to a mixing bowl. Mix well and taste. Add more spices to your liking.
8. Scoop into bell peppers, cover w/ aluminum foil and bake for approx. 30 minutes. Cook longer if you like you bell peppers softer, cook shorter to keep them crunchy.